When considering summer attire we may reach a moment when the bikini feels too daunting. On some days even a one-piece feels like a daring choice! One facet of the betwixt and between period of our lives called perimenopause is that we can feel one way one day and completely another the next, so there’s no need to panic or throw away all those old suits. But when feeling insecure, be kind to yourself. There are still options.
There’s the skirted bathing suit route of course — not for everyone, but an option worth considering, and one I embraced more than once postpartum. For whatever reason though, at this moment in my life, a skirted suit screams, “I give up! I am old!” So I’m here recommending Plan B: “Embrace the Caftan.”
In 2014, writer Veronique Hyland wrote a piece for The Cut called “How to Get Your Body Caftan-Ready for Summer.” The idea is simple: screw torturing yourself to get “bikini ready” in twenty-one days. Forget trying to look like your daughters in their bathing suits. It’s not going to work anyway. Live your life, enjoy yourself, and go shopping for a badass caftan, or ten!
These are Hyland’s steps:
- Select a caftan of your chosen gauge and length. Stroke its gauzy fabric and whisper into its folds.
- Let your flesh settle into the crevices of your comfortable, comfortable caftan.
- Crumbs? Let them fall where they may, swaddled in your caftan.
- Throw out your razor.
- Throw out your bra.
- Throw out the aloe vera lotion you bought last summer. You will not be getting sunburned this summer.
- Release your inhibitions. Feel the rain on your skin.
Some of My Personal Favorites: